I've never owned a red dress, but I've owned this red fabric for many years, so I finally decided to make my red dress project happen.
The fabric is crepe and was purchased at The Wool House in Toronto (in the fashion district at Queen & Spadina).
The pattern is Very Easy Vogue 9021, which I've made twice before - once in green crepe, also purchased from The Wool House, and once in a polka dot cotton blend, purchased from Fabricland. You can read about those makes here: Very Easy Vogue V9021: Green Fitted Flutter Sleeve Dress and here: Very Easy Vogue V9021: Flutter Sleeve Dress in Polka Dots
Having made both the longer and shorter views of this dress, I already knew that I preferred the longer version, which is view B, so this is the view I made with the red fabric. Trying on my previous makes, I also realized that with a small adjustment, the fit would be absolutely perfect; therefore I added half an inch to the bottom of the bodice so that it would align properly with my waist. This adjustment also resulted in the fitted skirt sitting in exactly the right spot. Sometimes it's amazing what a big difference one small pattern adjustment can make in the overall fit of a garment.
When I was finished sewing the dress, I felt that I wanted to do something to make it unique since I already have two other versions of the same dress. That's when the floral appliqué caught my eye. I have a bag of about ten of these same appliqués sitting in a Ziplock bag on my drafting table. I originally purchased them from Amazon for a coat project that is on my Things to Make wish list. Using one of the appliqués for my red dress leaves me with plenty left over for my coat project, and I think it was exactly what the dress needed.